Friday, March 7, 2008

A Word About Growth Percentiles

Yesterday, Nathaniel and I went to the Ontario Early Years Centre drop-in to hang out with the other kids and play with some different toys. Another mom with a babe asked me how old Nate was and predictably expressed surprise when I told her six months. I asked the age of her baby and she said, "Too." But, of course, I heard "two" and assumed she meant 2 months. It turns out that her little boy, although half Nathaniel's size, is actually 2 days older than Nate. "Wow, he's big," she repeated, obviously convinced that I was lying about my son's age. 

We get that a lot. 

Which prompted me to check out some growth percentile calculators online to see just where Nathaniel fits in with other kids his age. What I learned was rather interesting (if you're interested in that sort of thing). Since birth his weight has stayed in the 50th-75th percentile, meaning he's slightly above average. His length and head size, however, have both jumped from the 25th-50th percentile to the 95th for length and 90th for head circumference. That means that only 5% of boys his age are longer and only 10% have bigger noggins. (I, for one, am glad that his head size started on the small side.)


Hidden somewhere in his fist is half a banana. I have found that if I leave on part of the peel, he has an easier time holding onto it since it isn't as slippery. By the end of the meal, though, it gets pretty squidgy.


Mmm, toast and jam.

Believe it or not, a fair amount of food actually made it into his mouth. 


This huge leap in length goes a long way toward explaining my baby's appetite. Steve has taken to calling him "Dyson" around mealtimes (presumably because it's funnier than "Hoover"). And so far, Nate has liked pretty well everything I've offered, though the jury is still out on peaches and cauliflower.

No comments: